Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mardi Gras

Just when I feel like I'm starting to get a grip on things something else happens that throws me off balance again.

This time its Pumpkin. I'm incredibly irritated at him for the events of the past weekend. He's being immature, and isn't apologetic in the least, so I expect the irritation to linger for some time. I've never really been angry with him before, which is frustrating in and of itself.


Yesterday was gorgeous, so I escaped to the beach beneath The Cliffs with SkinnyBitch and AirborneRanger and a friend of theirs. I'd only ever been to that beach after dark, the last time involved scary mutant sand crabs. I loved it. The sun was shinning and the ocean was so very blue. I always go to the beach when I'm feeling troubled. Something about the waves and the enormity of the Pacific speak to me in the most intimated, elemental way. Nothing ever relaxes me like the ocean. Skinny and I were incredibly cliche and lay on our towels drinking Cheladas and reading Cosmo most of the day. Eventually, we were coaxed (thrown) into the water by the boys and a splashing war ensued. I hadn't played and been silly like that in such a long time.


Something about SkinnyBitch is comforting. She's shallow and silly, but that is part of why I enjoy her so much. Her gossip and petty judgments distract me from the painful things that others unwittingly remind me of. Ok, she's not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed and she has the emotional depth of a wading pool, but she's a genuinely nice person. She's harmless, really. I think, in a way, she takes me back to simpler times when my biggest worries were what color toga to buy or whether my shoes clashed with my party top. You know, before it all fell apart. She may not be a lifelong friend, but she is so refreshing.

AirborneRanger is much of the same. We bonded over our his-and-hers Sperrys and our mutual love of tequila. He's leaving for some sort of Army training soon, so he's wrapped up in a whirl of good times and good-byes. Its easy to allow myself to get wrapped up in the Mardi-Gras atmosphere that his company brings.

So, for now, "Laisses les bons temps rouler!".

No comments:

Post a Comment