Thursday, March 18, 2010

Home... Sweet?... Home

I make no secret of the fact that I hate living in this place.
I went to high school here, my family broke here, my heart broke here.
Almost nothing that I associate with this place is good.

I didn't really want to go out last night. It is, I suppose, technically the holiday of my people. My mother's family, anyway. They're all loud and Irish and love their whiskey. If you were to refer to us as a herd of willful gingers, well, you wouldn't be wrong.

I volunteered to drive. The idea of being drunk in a group that had indulged in too much Guinness and not enough corned beef and potatoes felt like the wrong kind of dangerous.

TheBean and I party hopped a little, and eventually ended up at a co-worker's house.

I was genuinely glad to see the people that I found there. I laughed all night. Not at anyone or because I felt obligated, but because I found something funny. I wasn't bored or irritated, even though I was one of the few sober people in the whole house. I danced. I cooked. I was hugged with such enthusiasm that I was propelled out of my chair and swung into the air.

It was a truly excellent night.

At some point, I looked around and made a startling discovery.

I've made a life here. Against my will.
And I like it.

Posted via email from Rather Be Social

1 comment: